Bibliography of Work
- Been Hoping We Might Meet Again: The Letters of Pierre Elliott Trudeau and Marshall Mcluhan (2019)
Pierre Elliott Trudeau. Marshall McLuhan. Two Canadian Catholic 20th-century public intellectuals whose lives and ideas intersected in surprising ways. This collection of their entire correspondence – from 1968 to 1980 – shines a light on their friendship and mutual respect during a fascinating period when television ruled and the world was becoming a global village. Annotated by scholar Elaine Kahn, who encountered the work of both these thinkers as a teenage student, the letters are a window on ideas and concepts that shaped the world we know today.
By Elaine Kahn Novalis (2019)
- Navalis (Paperback)
- The Lost Tetrads of Marshall McLuhan (2017)
Marshall McLuhan was the visionary theorist best known for coining the phrase “the medium is the message.” His work prefigures and underlies the themes of writers and artists as disparate and essential as Andy Warhol, Nam June Paik, Neil Postman, Seth Godin, Barbara Kruger, and Douglas Rushkoff, among countless others.
Shortly before his death, together with his media scholar son Eric, McLuhan worked on a new literary/visual code–almost a cross between hieroglyphics and poetry–that he called “the tetrads.” This was the ultimate theoretical framework for analyzing any new medium, a koan-like poetics that transcends traditional means of discourse. Some of the tetrads were published, but only a few. Now Eric McLuhan has recovered all the “lost” tetrads that he and his father developed, and accompanies them here with accessible explanations of how they function.
By Marshall McLuhan and Eric McLuhan O/R Books (2017)
- O/R Books (Available in Paperback and eBook formats)
- Explorations: Studies in Culture and Communication (2016)
Explorations: Studies in Culture and Communication, principally edited by Edmund Carpenter and Marshall McLuhan, was the first postwar journal to engage directly with the new "grammars" of mid-century new media of communication. Launched in Toronto in 1953, at the very moment that television made its national debut in Canada, Explorations presented a mosaic of approaches to contemporary media culture and became the site in which McLuhan and Carpenter first formulated their most striking insights about new media in the electric age. The extraordinary breadth of contributions to Explorations from leading thinkers across the arts, humanities, social and natural sciences makes this journal a founding publication in the now burgeoning field of media studies. Originally funded by a Ford Foundation grant, the eight coedited issues of Explorations ran from 1953 to 1957 and are reprinted here for the first time in sixty years.
Edited by E.S. Carpenter, W.T. Easterbrook, H.M. McLuhan, J. Tyrwhitt, and D.C. Williams Wipf and Stock (2016)
- The Future of the Library (2016)
Originally written in the late 1970s, this book was untouched for more than 35 years. McLuhan passed away before it went to press, but Logan always intended to finish it. Even though much has changed in the three decades since work on the project was halted, many of the points that McLuhan and Logan made in the era of ‘electric media’ are highly cogent in the era of digital media.
By Robert K. Logan and Marshall McLuhan Peter Lang Publishing Inc. (2016)
- Culture is our Business (2015)
Now available in print for the first time since it's original publication in 1970 with a new introduction by Eric McLuhan, Culture Is Our Business is Marshall McLuhan's sequel to The Mechanical Bride: Folklore of Industrial Man.
By Marshall McLuhan Wipf and Stock (2015)
- Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man (eBook Edition)
Available digitally for the first time, step into McLuhan's 1964 masterwork like never before.
By Marshall McLuhan Gingko Press (2013)
- George Meredith as a Poet and Dramatic Parodist
- By Marshall McLuhan M.A. thesis, University of Manitoba, unpublished (1934)
- The Place of Thomas Nashe in the Learning of his Time
By Marshall McLuhan Ph.D. thesis, Cambridge University (1941), Gingko Press (2003)
- The Mechanical Bride: Folklore of Industrial Man
By Marshall McLuhan Vanguard Press, New York (1951), Gingko Press (2002)
- Alfred Lord Tennyson: Selected Poetry
- Edited with an Introduction by Herbert Marshall McLuhan Holt, Rinehart and Winston (1956)
- Explorations in Communication: An Anthology
- Edited by Edmund Carpenter and Marshall McLuhan Beacon Press (1960)
- Report on Project in Understanding New Media
- National Association of Educational Broadcasters, Office of Education, U. S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare, New York (1960)
- The Gutenberg Galaxy: The Making of Typographic Man
By Marshall McLuhan University of Toronto Press (1962)
- Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man
By Marshall McLuhan McGraw-Hill (1964), Critical Edition, Gingko Press (2003)
- Voices of Literature, Book One
- The First of a two-volume anthology for High Schools Compiled and with notes and commentary by Marshall McLuhan, Professor of English and Richard J. Schoeck, Professor of English at St. Michael’s College, University of Toronto. Illustrations by Harley Parker. Holt, Rinehart & Winston of Canada, Limited (1964)
- Voices of Literature, Book Two
- The Second of a two-volume anthology for High Schools Compiled and with notes and commentary by Marshall McLuhan, Head of the Centre for Culture and Technology, and Richard J. Schoeck, Head of the Department of English at St. Michael’s College, University of Toronto. Illustrations by Harley Parker. Holt, Rinehart & Winston of Canada, Limited (1965)
- Verbi-Voco-Visual Explorations
- Explorations issue 8 in book format Something Else Press (1967)
- The Medium is the Massage: An Inventory of Effects (Hardcover – May 2011)
By Marshall McLuhan, Quentin Fiore and co-ordinated by Jerome Agel Bantam Books/Random House (1967), Gingko Press (2011)
More than 40 years after its initial publication in 1967, this piquant classic is being released once again in its original hardcover format in celebration of the McLuhan Centenary. The Medium is the Massage remains Marshall McLuhan’s most popular book, perhaps as influential as Understanding Media.
- The Medium is the Massage: An Inventory of Effects
By Marshall McLuhan, Quentin Fiore and co-ordinated by Jerome Agel Bantam Books/Random House (1967), Gingko Press (2000)
- War and Peace in the Global Village
By Marshall McLuhan, Quentin Fiore and co-ordinated by Jerome Agel Bantam Books/Random House (1968), Gingko Press (2000)
- Through the Vanishing Point: Space in Poetry and Painting
By Marshall McLuhan and Harley Parker Harper & Row Publishers (1968)
- Counterblast 1954
By Marshall McLuhan. Introduction by W. Terrence Gordon Gingko Press (2011)
Distributed in 1954 as a hand-made ‘zine’, this special limited edition hardcover facsimile reproduction of McLuhan’s biting, never-before published manifesto features an introduction by McLuhan biographer Terrence Gordon and an afterword by literary scholar Elena Lamberti.
Designed by Harley Parker Harcourt-Brace (1969) London: Rapp & Whiting, Canada: McClelland & Stewart, Gingko Press (2010)
- The Interior Landscape: The Literary Criticism of Marshall McLuhan 1943-1962
- Selected, Compiled and Edited by Eugene McNamara McGraw-Hill Book Company (1969)
- The McLuhan Dew-Line Newsletter
- Human Development Corporatio, New York (1969-1970).
- Voices of Literature, Book III: Sounds, Masks, Roles
- By Marshall McLuhan and R. J. Schoeck New York: Holt, Rinehart & Winston (1970)
- Culture Is Our Business
McGraw-Hill Book Company (1970).
- From Cliché to Archetype
By Marshall McLuhan and Wilfred Watson The Viking Press (1970)
The new redesigned 2011 centennial publication of McLuhan’s neglected masterpiece, W. Terrence Gordon provides a richer reading with concise chapter introductions.
- Take Today: The Executive as Drop Out
By Marshall McLuhan and Barrington Nevitt Longman Canada Limited, Harcourt Brace Jovanovitch, Inc. (1972)
- City as Classroom: Understanding Language and Media
By Marshall McLuhan, Kathryn Hutchon, Eric McLuhan The Book Society of Canada Limited (1977)
- Media, Messages and Language: The World as Your Classroom
- U.S. reprint of City as Classroom (1980).
- Letters of Marshall McLuhan
Edited by M. Molinaro, Corinne McLuhan, W. Toye Oxford University Press (1987)
- Laws of Media: The New Science
By Marshall and Eric McLuhan with an introduction by Eric McLuhan University of Toronto Press (1988)
- The Global Village: Transformations in World Life and Media in the 21st Century.
By Marshall McLuhan and Bruce Powers Oxford University Press (1988)
- Marshall McLuhan: The Man and his Message
Edited by George Sanderson and Frank Macdonald; Introduction by John Cage Fulcrum, Inc. (1989)
- Essential McLuhan
Edited by Frank Zingrone and Eric McLuhan House of Anansi Press (1995)
- Forward through the Rear View Mirror: Reflections on and by Marshall McLuhan
Based on the CD-ROM, Edited by N. DeHart and Paul Benedetti. Published in Canada by Prentice-Hall (1996), in US by M.I.T. Press. McLuhan material © 1996, The Estate of Marshall McLuhan, remainder © 1996 Southam, Inc.
- McLuhan for Beginners
By Gary Gordon Writers and Readers Publishing, Inc. (1997)
- The Medium and the Light: Reflections on Religion and Media
Edited by Eric McLuhan and Jacek Szklarek with an introduction by Eric McLuhan Wipf and Stock Publishers (1999)
- The Book of Probes
By Marshall McLuhan and David Carson. Edited and Introduced by Eric McLuhan and William Kuhns Gingko Press (2002)
- Understanding Me: Lectures And Interviews
By Marshall McLuhan with an introductory essay by Tom Wolfe, edited by Stephanie McLuhan and David Staines McClelland and Stewart (2003)
- McLuhan Unbound
By Marshall McLuhan, edited by Eric McLuhan and W. Terrance Gordon Gingko Press (2005)
- The Classical Trivium - The Place of Thomas Nashe in the Learning of his Time
By Marshall McLuhan, edited by W. Terrence Gordon Gingko Press (2006)
- Media and Formal Cause
By Marshall McLuhan and Eric McLuhan Neopoiesis Press, LLC (2011)
- Theories of Communication
By Eric McLuhan and Marshall McLuhan Peter Lang Publishing Group (2011)
Gingko Press has been authorized by the Estate of Marshall McLuhan to acquire the rights and publish all of his work as those rights become available.
- The Medium is the Massage (2011 CD reissue)
Deluxe CD reissue includes additional artwork, unpublished photographs from the recording sessions and new original essays from DJ Spooky and Michael Vazquez. Traffic records 2011
Also available on vinyl (limited edition of 1000). Five Day Weekend 2013
- The New Technology and the Arts
- A flexi-disc that accompanied ArtsCanada 24.2 (1967)
- Wyndham Lewis Recalled: Marshall McLuhan Recalls Lewis
- A flexi-disc that accompanied ArtsCanada 24.11, No. 114, a special issue on Lewis (1967)
- The Medium is the Massage; with Marshall McLuhan
- Long-playing Record produced by John Simon. Conceived and co-ordinated by Jerome Agel. Written by Marshall McLuhan, Quentin Fiore, and Jerome Agel. Columbia CS 9501, CL2701 (1968).
- Understanding McLuhan
- CD-ROM Co-produced by Southam Interactive and The Voyager Company (1996).
- The Medium Is The Massage
- SONY Catalog: SRCS-8912 (1999).
- Marshall McLuhan: The Medium and the Messenger
- By Philip Marchand, Revised with a new foreword by Neil Postman Canada: Random House (Vintage), United States: MIT Press (1989)
- Marshall McLuhan: Escape into Understanding
- By W. Terrence Gordon MIT Press (1997), Gingko Press edition (2003)
- Marshall McLuhan: Wise Guy
- By Judith Fitzgerald XYZ Publishing (2001)
- Extraordinary Canadians: Marshall Mcluhan
- By Douglas Coupland Viking Canada (2010)
Film & Video
- Annie Hall
- Written (with Marshall Brickman) and directed by Woody Allen. Starring Diane Keaton, Woody Allen, Tony Roberts, Carol Kane, Paul Simon, Shelley Duvall, and Christopher Walken. A United Artists production (1977).
- The Bad Trip
- With Jane Jacobs. A documentary about/against the Spadina Expressway in Toronto, Canada (1977).
- Marshall McLuhan: The Man and His Message
- Television documentary (1 hour) written and hosted by Tom Wolfe. Produced and directed by Stephanie McLuhan-Ortved (1984).
- The Video McLuhan
- Set of 6 video tapes. Written by Tom Wolfe and produced by Stephanie McLuhan-Ortved (1996).
- McLuhan’s Wake
- Written by David Sobelman and directed by Kevin McMahon. Conceived and Co-produced by David Sobelman. Produced by Primitive Entertainment. Co-production with the National Film Board of Canada, in association with TVOntario (2002).
- Marshall McLuhan’s ABC
- Written and directed by David Sobelman. Edited by Steven Pinchuk. Original music by Dan Thompson. Executive Producer Rudy Buttignol. A TVOntario Production (2002).
- The McLuhan Probes
- Produced and Directed by David Sobelman. Editor Steven Pinchuck. Executive Producer Rudy Buttignol. A TVOntario Production (2002).
- Out Of Orbit
- Director: Carl Bessai. Writers: Carl Bessai, Manfred Becker. Producer: Laura Lightbown. Cinematography: Carl Bessai. Editor: Manfred Becker. Music: Vince Mai. Produced by Raven West Films Ltd. in association with CBC Televiison (2002).